Presita el Usona Esperantisto № 2023:4 (jul–aŭg)

Board Meeting, July 15th, 2023

Lasta ĝisdatigo: 2023-08-10

Ĉeestas: Brandono SOWERS, David BECK, Charlotte BURTON, Margo KEVESS-COHEN, Fred MEYER III, Quintyn BOBB, Enriko HARO, Jane SHEVTSOV; sen voĉdonrajtoj: Vilĉjo HARRIS

Per custom from the previous president, Brandon states he will guide the board meeting in English. A quorum is declared. The meeting is called to order. Per board procedure, the minutes of the previous meeting are automatically approved.

Standing Reports

Central Office

Nothing to report, as Bill is trying to catch up on post-Congress requests.

President’s Report

The president prepared the agenda for this meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Nothing to report since the LK

Old Business


We were going to look into getting some technology subscriptions. Bill got the one currently in use through TechSoup, though there is some question of how many Zoom accounts we will need. Per discussion in Raleigh, we were going to see how much use we can get out of the current Zoom account before getting more. Further, the board will discuss in Slack how to proceed on an upgraded Slack account.

New Business

Parallel Universe

Brandon proposes supporting local groups at up to $50 each for the first ten local groups to request it, to support them in participating in Parallel Universe. The full proposal is listed in Appendix B. Jane raises the question of whether $50 would be enough to actually support any local group activity, or whether we should subsidize some larger amount with individually approved amounts. Margo moves that we vote on Brandon’s proposal. Jane recommends we may want to set up a rubric to help determine what proposals we can support. Charlotte suggests that she and Jane can plan to support bigger proposals for Zamenhof Day. Brandon calls for the vote, which passes unanimously.

US Representation at UK

Booth at Movada Foiro

Brandon proposes collaboration with Charlotte and Bill to gather materials to display and distribute at our booth at the movada foiro. With a budget of up to $100. Charlotte and Bill agree. Rafa and Kuo will be at the UK, as well as David, and may be able to work at our booth at the movada foiro. Brandon proposes we amend the amount to $300, and Margo seconds. With no opposition, the amendment passes unanimously. The vote passes unanimously. Action Item: Bill and Charlotte will collaborate to gather materials to display at UK with a budget of up to $300.


Brandon proposes that we create a Telegram group called Usonanoj ĉe UK 2023, and begin letting people know about this. Action Item: Brandon will create a Telegram group, then hand it over to Q. This passes unanimously.

Komitato de UEA

So far, Duncan Charters has been acting as our committee representative for UEA. While Duncan has been president, he has been our committee member, but per our bylaws, we should select a different person each year. Brandon suggests we have two people sit in on each of these meetings during the UK when possible. There is uncertainty as to whether there are similar meetings needed outside of the UK. David proposes we accept this proposal to determine whether we can have a second person sit in on the committee meetings. Margo seconds. Unanimously in favor. Action Item: Brandon will investigate the matter of komitatanoj for UEA.


Regarding the new committees we are setting up (Diversity Committee, Project Committee, Communication Committee), Brandon suggests we follow the model of the Nomination Committee in order to ensure effective committees. Tim Boronsky has been leading the Membership Committee. The Nomination Committee and Membership committee meet every 1-3 months and communicate some in between. New committees (including the Diversity Committee, the Project Committee, and the Communication Committee) should be on hold until we select chairs for each committee, a description of the committee’s purpose, and then a final make-up of the committee. The President is empowered to take point on this, but consult with the board prior to any decisions. Jane suggests an amendment wherein the final make-up of the committee will be at the discretion of the selected chair, in consultation with the President, and a list brought to the board, including bios, for final confirmation. After the committee is initially formed, all future decisions are up to the committee, in consultation with the president. The board agrees that committee chairs can be, but need not be board members. David proposes we vote on the amended proposal. Margo seconds. Jane abstains from the vote, and all others vote in favor.

Board Functioning

Margo, Kuo, Fred, Brandon, and Hoss agree to be in a small committee to help draft working rules and guidelines regarding board functioning. Margo proposes we approve this move. David seconds. The proposal passes unanimously.

Communication Strategy

Quintyn has been thinking about our communication strategy and will be offering the board some materials to help us determine our communication strategy as an organization moving forward.

Next Meeting

August 12, 1 PM Eastern. Passes by acclamation. Meeting adjourned 2:06 EST.

Appendices: Tagordo, Paralela Universo